Holy Family College Blog

3 Ways to Kickstart the Scholarship Application Process

Posted by Jamie Grant on 2/11/16 10:49 AM

It’s finally time: you’re thrilled to leave high school behind and dive into the exciting world of college life. In the midst of convincing your parents to let you keep the car and picking out new bedding for your dorm room, don’t forget to do your homework regarding your scholarship options.

Here are three ways to kick-start the scholarship application process.

Read More

Topics: Applying to College

10 Things I Wish I’d Known about Choosing a College

Posted by Suzanne Weiss on 3/14/15 4:00 PM

If I could re-do my college selection process, I’d approach it differently.

Since I was the first one in my family to attend college, my parents didn’t know how to help me and didn’t get involved in the selection process. We never toured colleges, discussed choices, or researched alternatives. I was unsure about my career path.

I ended up choosing the least expensive option, since no one talked to me about scholarships or loans. My freshman and sophomore years were difficult, and I felt lonely and lost.

Luckily, I “found myself” during my junior year, changed majors and got to know a group of people on campus with the same interests and career goals.

“Selecting a college can be compared to buying a pair of blue jeans,” said Jamie Grant, Executive Director of Enrollment Management at Silver Lake College in Manitowoc, Wis. “You’ll find a lot of styles, sizes, and price ranges. But remember, a good fit for your friend may not necessarily be a good fit for you.” 

To help you prevent making the same mistakes I made, I collaborated with Jamie to come up with the following helpful tips: 

Read More

Topics: Applying to College

About This Blog

Deciding where, when and by what means to go to college can be a difficult decision process. We want to help! The Holy Family College Blog is intended to be a resource as you navigate these choices, from what type of school to choose to how to finance your education. Watch this space for helpful tips. 

For free, downloadable resources for those considering graduate or undergraduate studies, visit our resource library!

Go to Resource Library