Holy Family College Blog

Breaking the Diversity Myth of Small Private Colleges in Wisconsin

Posted by Jamie Grant on 4/20/17 7:30 AM

“Diversity” isn’t the first word most people think of when they hear about small private colleges in Wisconsin, but Silver Lake College of the Holy Family is striving to break the stereotype of homogeneity on private college campuses.

At Silver Lake College of the Holy Family we intentionally seek out diversity as part of our Franciscan heritage and our mission. We believe that diversity is integral to the educational and developmental experience of our entire community.

Note: Are you interested in learning more about what it means to attend a work college? Check out our website and learn more about SLC’s Work College program — SLC Works.

Read More

Topics: College Life

Thoughts and advice for new college students from Silver Lake College students

Posted by Jamie Grant on 3/16/17 7:30 AM

Silver Lake College is an academic institution dedicated to providing a sense of academic excellence and Franciscan values to its students. But for many students, Silver Lake College is much more than just an academic institution and is more like a home, a community and a place where students can exceed and grow to the best of their abilities.

Read More

Topics: College Life

Student Spotlight: Why I’m Glad I Attend a Small College

Posted by Anna Hall on 12/15/16 8:34 AM

When deciding where to go to college, one of the factors to consider early on is the size of the college you want to attend. The size of the school affects the learning style of the classes you take, how much individual attention you will get from your professors and how closely your advisors will be able to follow your progress.

Because evaluating a college based on size is important, I picked out a few reasons why I chose to pursue my degree at a smaller college — and why I’m so glad I did.

Read More

Topics: College Life

Small College or Big University? 10 Questions to Help You Decide

Posted by Suzanne Weiss on 2/28/15 2:30 PM

I attended a large university where classes were often held in big auditoriums, and I found it hard to connect with my instructors and classmates. It was difficult for me to meet new people and make friends.

Truth be told, I had a tough time during my freshman and sophomore years. If I’d thought about how college size would impact my experience before I went off to school, I might have made a different choice.

One of the first decisions you will make when you select a college is whether you prefer a small college or a larger university. Everyone is different! Different personalities and different goals all figure into the decision of choosing the size of the college you will attend.

I worked with Jamie Grant, Executive Director of Enrollment Management at Silver Lake College in Manitowoc, WI, to come up with the following questions to help you when looking at colleges:

Read More

Topics: College Life

About This Blog

Deciding where, when and by what means to go to college can be a difficult decision process. We want to help! The Holy Family College Blog is intended to be a resource as you navigate these choices, from what type of school to choose to how to finance your education. Watch this space for helpful tips. 

For free, downloadable resources for those considering graduate or undergraduate studies, visit our resource library!

Go to Resource Library